Are you ready for Brexit?
As of the 1st of January 2021, the UK will cease to be a member of the European Community. The UK will therefore, in turn become another customs area and import to or from the UK will be subject to customs formalities. With our specialization in freight forwarding, Sealogis Freight Forwarding Belgium is your advisor with regards to these customs procedures.
The UK left the European Union on 31st of January 2020. Under the Withdrawal Agreement it is now seen for the rest of the EU as a ‘third country’ and thus may no longer able participate in EU decision-making.
1st January 2021: UK becomes another customs area
From 1st January 2021 the UK will become a third country that is no longer part of the European Customs Union. The UK’s departure will have major consequences for public authorities, businesses and citizens.
The UK will therefore, become another customs area and import to and from the UK (also to and from the EU) will not longer be considered as an intra European transaction and will therefore be subject to customs formalities. The different (ferry) ports and rail stations will become borders.
Which includes the following :
- In addtion to customs declaration you may also need to provide security information
- You will need a special permit for certain goods (such as waste materials, certain hazardous chemicals, GMO’s)
- You will have to comply with additional formalities when importing or exporting excise duty goods (alcohol, tabacco or fuel) into or from the UK
- When importing goods from the UK, as a rule you will have to pay the VAT in the EU member state in which you are importing the goods to. You will be exempt from VAT in the EU for all goods you export to the UK; on the other hand, you will have to comply with any VAT rules for imports into the UK.
- For transactions with the UK different VAT rules and procedures will apply in comparison to transactions within the EU.
Brexit advice by Sealogis Freight Forwarding Belgium
• We can screen your supply chain, your procurement and selling terms, design solutions and operating procedures, be your partner in this difficult transition period and beyond.
• We take care of customs export & import formalities in Belgium and France even in the UK in cooperation with our UK partners.
• We design and offer optimized transport & shipping solutions (short sea, deep sea, multi modal, …). For door to door or first/last mile.
• We offer storage solutions if necessary
• Advice for regular Belgian exporters and importers
• Regular Belgian exporters (to UK): please apply for a customs approved loading location. This enables us or any other customs broker to fulfill the customs formalities at your premises.
• Regular Belgian importers (from UK): please apply for a customs approved unloading location. This enables us or any other customs broker to fulfill the customs formalities at your premises.
More info needed about our Brexit customs solutions? Get in touch!